In order for a fire to start it needs three things - Oxygen, Heat & Fuel. If one is missing a fire cannot start! In order to protect yourself, it is important to understand the basic characteristics of fire.
• Fire is FAST. In just two minutes, a fire can become life-threatening. In five minutes, a residence can be engulfed in flames.
• Fire is DARK. Fire produces gases that make you disoriented and drowsy. Instead of being awakened by a fire, you may fall into a deeper sleep. Asphyxiation is the leading cause of fire deaths, exceeding burns by a three- to- one ratio.
• Fire is HOT. Heat and smoke from fire can be more dangerous than the flames. Inhaling the hot air can sear your lungs.
How do you protect yourself from fire?
• Plan 2 minute escape plan and practice it!
• Make sure smoke detectors work!!
• Avoid overloading extension cords.
• Have open and clearly marked exits.