SERVPRO of Oak Lawn Mold Experience
When a home suffers a water damage event, a mold infestation can quickly arise and spread throughout a home in 48-72 hours. Because mold can produce allergens and irritants, you will want a professional that has training and experience to properly resolve the mold infestation. If you suspect that your Oak Lawn home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Oak Lawn can inspect, assess and remediate your property.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by reviewing these mold damage tips.
In these before and after pictures, mold was found behind the walls and kitchen cabinets due to a water leak in the bathroom above. We were able to safely remove the mold from the home and also completed the restoration process.
Flooded Basement In Oak Lawn IL
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Oak Lawn basement could flood, including:
- A sewer pipe that is blocked or cracked
- Surface water from heavy rains that can pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get. The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity.
If you have questions call us 24/7 (708) 239-1444.
Why You Should Have A Fire Extinguisher
Office buildings need specific fire safety equipment to keep both employees and clients safe. This includes smoke detectors, sprinklers, fire alarms, and extinguishers.
The first step in fire damage restoration is to put out the fire using the proper tools. A first responder may use an approved portable fire extinguisher to prevent a small fire from growing and causing further damage.
The National Fire Protection Agency publishes a series of standards and requirements for portable fire extinguishers called NFPA 10, available here.
No matter what the size of the fire, your first priority should be to get everyone out safely and call 911. Once the fire has been put out, you can call SERVPRO of Oak Lawn (708) 239-1444 to assist with the fire damage restoration.
Here is a link for another great resource on why you should buy a fire extinguisher for your home.
Mold Removal In Oak Lawn IL
Information on Mold Remediation in Oak Lawn
Mold growth can begin anywhere from 2-3 days after a storm causes water damage. The mold is a harmful issue, and it can negatively affect your health, house, and the contents within your home. As the length of exposure to storm water damage increases, the chance for air spores that spread mold also escalates. Mold remediation becomes more challenging as the signs of mold growth that include musty odors, and discolored surfaces, become more apparent.
Our highly trained mold removal technicians use the latest technology and tools to quickly address your mold problem in a manner that effectively removes mold colonies. Unlike DIY techniques, our SERVPRO professional service does not carry the risk of improperly removing mold, in this way, expediting a more rapid return to a healthy home environment. We are also trained and licensed to handle lead, asbestos and other dangerous materials that may show up during the mold removal process.
We are available 24 per day. Before your appointment, be sure to:
- Inventory damaged and missing goods for your insurance claim.
- Throw away all sealed and unsealed food and beverage contacted by storm flood waters.
- Open windows and doors.
- Refrain from using electrical devices until it is safe.
- Remove standing water when possible.
- Use dehumidifiers and fans to ventilate your home; SERVPRO can perform this task upon arrival.
Our mold remediation technician will also determine if any contents in your home are salvageable. Porous items that are wet for over 48 hours and cannot be completely dried and cleaned must be disposed of.
This list includes carpet, carpet padding, ceiling tiles, clothing, drywall, floor tiles, insulation, leather goods, paper, upholstery, wallpaper and wood items.
When our mold remediation expert arrives, he will:
- Apply biocides.
- Decide whether or not you can stay in your house during the mold remediation process.
- Determine if additional ventilation and containment is needed.
- Look for mold in the HVAC system and biological hazards in the home.
- Test for any additional mold after the mold remediation process.
- Use quick structural drying techniques.
If you suspect you have mold in your home or business call us today (708) 239-1444
Mold Prevention Tips
If you have seen mold in your bathroom, this may cause you to worry. Showers and baths can create lingering moisture. Without the proper ventilation, excess moisture can cause mold to grow. Also, if you have a leak in your pipes behind the walls that you can't see, this can contribute to mold growth.
A few simple steps to prevent mold in your bathroom:
- Properly ventilate your bathroom. If you have a fan, make sure it is on or open a window while you shower or take a bath.
- After you are finished, allow the fan to run for at least 30 minutes to allow air to circulate.
- Use mildew-resistant shower and window curtains.
- Wipe down your shower after use to remove any lingering moisture.
- Once a month, wash your shower curtain.
- Damp laundry should not be left on the floor.
- If you notice any leaks, try to get them repaired ASAP.
If you suspect mold, we can come inspect it for you. Call us today 708-239-1444
National Preparedness Month - Flood Damage
Being prepared for a flood can help protect your home and family.
One of the most common natural disasters in the U.S. are floods according to Ready.gov. Flooding can result from a number of different circumstances including:
- Severe storms
- Snow melting
- Prolonged periods of rain
- Clogged sewer drains
- Overflows of dams or water systems
Some areas in the U.S. have a higher risk of flooding and are considered flood zones. In a flood zone, water can rise without warning and occur all throughout the year. It is crucial to prepare for floods before they can cause damage to your business or home.
Preparing for a flood
When there is a threat of severe weather, being prepared beforehand can help keep you and your family safe.
1. Be aware of your risk.
There are areas that are more susceptible to flooding than others. You can check Fema.gov by entering your address.
2. Have an emergency kit.
Emergency kits should include essentials like food, water, flashlights, extra batteries and medications. It is recommended to have at least a 3 day supply just in case you are stranded or have to leave your home with little or no warning.
3. Keep informed.
You community has a weather warning system that you should subscribe to so that you will receive updates in real-time. Also, you can sign up for alerts from the Emergency Alert System and the National Weather Service. If you are notified in advance of a flood watch or advisory, you may be able to prepare you home in the event of significant damage.
4. Have an evacuation route planned.
Your local community may already have pre-determined evacuation routes and shelters in place. If not, you should plan your own route. Try to have more than one exit route out of your neighborhood in the event roads are closed.
5. Protecting your home.
Unfortunately, most standard insurance policies do not cover damage caused by floods. You can contact your insurance agent to determine which additional coverage you may need in the event of a flood.
While being prepared can help protect your family, it is also important to know what to do after a flood.
If you experience flooding in your home, call SERVPRO of Oak Lawn today (708) 239-1444.
When Disaster Strikes Your Business
When your Oak Lawn business suffers from a disaster event like a fire or flood, you will have to think about many different details at the same time. Your clients may need to be notified, shipping may have to be delayed or canceled, customer support will have to be increased, employees may be displaced but still need to work, and so on.
A disaster event will undoubtedly be a trying time, and it is important to figure out what should take priority and what can be delegated to others so you can focus on getting your business back to full speed as soon as possible.
Depending on what type of business you own, the equipment, technology, and the items that can be salvaged or stored from inside your building might be some of the most important assets to your business. You will need someone who can help you track and manage those items for you, so you can focus on the other tasks at hand.
SERVPRO of Oak Lawn provides content storage services along with our disaster restoration efforts.
In your time of need, consider the benefits of working with us to keep your items safe:
- Saved time – Instead of attempting to move your important items yourself, you can simply work with us. We’ll already be on site to provide any type of disaster restoration service you need, and we’ll begin the content storage process at the same time.
- All-in-one service – You won’t have to spread yourself thin calling all over the place finding different companies to provide different services. We provide disaster restoration, content storage, and full project management services. You’ll only have to make one call to have all of your needs handled.
- Meticulous environment – We will log each and every one of your items into inventory so you know exactly what’s being stored. We also use a climate controlled storage facility that will provide a stable environment for your precious technology and equipment. Instead of having to wonder what’s been taken care of and what’s being restored or salvaged, you’ll have a detailed picture of everything you need to know.
As a business owner, you have probably had to learn how to delegate important tasks to other people. That is what great leaders do, focus on the essentials and rely on other reliable professionals to fill in the gaps.
Let SERVPRO of Oak Lawn handle your tricky situation of disaster restoration.
CALL US TODAY (708) 239-1444
Mold Damage Remediation in Alsip, IL
A small amount of visible mold can be hiding larger mold issues behind the wall.
If you suspect you have mold, you should first consult an environmental specialist to determine what types of mold you are dealing with and where it is coming from. Once that is done, SERVPRO can take the proper steps to properly remediate the mold.
Water damaged ceilings and walls provide an ideal home for mold colonies to flourish. Most damage can be easily seen when it occurs after a flood or as a result of the water used to put out a fire, but some water damage can lie concealed behind walls. Mold that forms in these areas may also remain undetected by most people, but not to trained professionals.
Call SERVPRO of Oak Lawn today (708) 239-1444 if you suspect you have mold. We provide complete mold remediation in Oak Lawn and the surrounding suburbs.
Storm Damage In Your Oak Lawn Business
The last thing anyone wants to think about is a storm causing damage inside their business.
Some commercial business owners treat property issues as part of doing business. Flood damage can destroy inventory, stock, supplies, office furniture, documents and electronic equipment as well as cause structural damage. Also, there could be potential health issues arising from contaminated water and possible mold contamination. SERVPRO suggests the following to help mitigate water damage to your business facility.
In many cases, flood damage results from the effects of a storm. There are several types of water damage that can result from storm surges. Some of them include:
- Building displacement or damage
- Mold growth in commercial properties within walls or HVAC systems
- Damage to coastal rail lines, highways, or roads resulting in less accessibility for transportation
- Loss of business, closed doors means lost commercial cash flow, less rent, and loss of customer traffic
How to Save on Flood Damage Restoration
Have a flood insurance program. By purchasing business interruption insurance, you can gain reimbursement for a claim and lessen the impact of no revenue stream and thus lower your total costs. SERVPRO is recognized as a preferred vendor by many insurance and management companies. We can help speed the process of water damage restoration. The best way to reduce or prevent damages generated by storm surges is to implement strategies before the onset of hurricane season. Here are some strategies you should implement:
- Build higher. If you own your commercial building, consider the value of finding the property's base flood elevation and building above it. Hire a structural engineer to offer a plan to reinforce your commercial property.
- Place valuables higher. If your building contains more than one floor, be sure to move valuable assets, technical equipment, and computers to the second floor.
- Invest in preventative installations. Be sure to install some back-flow valves in the property's sewer lines. These valves will prevent city sewage from flowing into your property in the event of a storm surge. Have available access to water surge barricading materials such as sandbags. Also, be sure to elevate electrical systems such as extension cords above the region's flood level. You can also utilize cinder blocks to raise your appliances and most valuable assets above anticipated flood levels.
- Select fast-drying material. Carpeting and wet drywall are susceptible to damage from mold. These porous-surfaced building materials normally require discarding after flooding due to contaminants and mold growth. Build or replace with stone products, tile and noncardboard backed gypsum materials.
To ensure your Oak Lawn commercial property can withstand water damage resulting from floods be sure to implement the strategies outlined above. Post flooding, the most urgent action is to extract the standing water from the premises. Our company has the equipment, training, and expertise to dry out your building, repair material damage, clean, and sanitize your business. Our IICRC-certified professionals are skilled in thoroughly restoring your property to its previous safe, sanitary condition. "Like it never even happened." Let's get you open for business.
Fire Damage in Oak Lawn, IL
Our crews are trained to handle residential and commercial fire damage restoration
What to do after a fire in your home or business
When a fire happens in your home or business, lives are suddenly turned around. Recovery can be a mentally and physically draining process. So who do you contact and where do you begin?
- Contact your insurance company for detailed instructions on temporary housing, protecting the property, and conducting inventory. They will recommend a fire damage restoration company such as SERVPRO of Oak Lawn who are experienced with the process.
- Before you enter your residence, make sure it is safe. Check with the fire department to make sure there was no structural damage caused by the fire. They should also see that the utilities are disconnected before they leave or are safe to use.
- Conduct an inventory of damaged property and items. Take photographs of everything you can. Do not throw anything away until this has been done.
- If possible, locate your valuable documents and records.
- Be sure to let your local police department know if you are not going to be staying in your home while the repairs are made.
- Save any receipts for money you spend related to the fire loss. Your insurance company may need them later for verification.
- Notify your mortgage company of the fire.
For more tips and information on fires, you can check out the U.S. Fire Administration website.