Ask The Experts: What Should I Do After A Fire
Here are some steps to follow after a fire:
1. Call your insurance company right away.
2. Call a fire damage restoration company.
3. Try to ventilate the building as much as possible.
4. Remain outside of the building or at a safe location if possible.
5. Develop a plan of action for moving forward.
6. Stay in contact with the company you hired.
Quick Response Is Essential
Whether the fire is small or large, call a highly trained professional company that responds day or night quickly. From small fires to major blazes, a fire damage restoration company can remediate all of your fire damage problems and restore your home or business safely and efficiently.
Can Smoke Odors Be Removed?
You can become sickened by smoke and soot odors if they are left untreated. Only commercial treatment products by trained experts should be used to treat and remove smoke and smoke odor damage. Don't try to remove it with a home method. These methods could make the damage worse. It may cost you additional later to pay for a professional to undo the damage you caused by trying to clean it up.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Oak Lawn is close by and ready to respond to your cleaning or restoration needs. We are proud to be an active member of the Oak Lawn, IL community and want to do our part to make our community the best it can be.
Your Basement Could Flood At Anytime: Do You Have A Plan?
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Alsip basement could flood, including:
- A sewer pipe that is blocked or cracked
- Surface water from heavy rains that can pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get. The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity.
If you have questions call us 24/7
SERVPRO is ready to respond to any emergency around the clock
Water extraction may not be something that home and business owners spend a lot of time thinking about. Only in emergency situations does this service become necessary. Sometimes after a heavy rainfall or due to a pipe that burst or a backup of your neighborhood’s main sewer, the removal of water becomes critical. After large scale disasters, SERVPRO Oak Lawn acts quickly to mitigate the damage caused by water accumulation. We not only remove the water quickly, but we also work to salvage any furniture or equipment that we can. The goal of our water extraction services is to help people in Chicago Ridge recover quickly so that they can get on with their lives and businesses.
No one can predict when a natural disaster is going to strike. That’s why people call us. Our team of highly trained technicians to respond to any emergency around the clock. We are available every day of the year to help businesses and families in our area to recover from water damage and get their life back to normal.
Protecting Your Oak Lawn Property Before, During, and After a Flood
While fire may be a more common concern among homeowners, your home could in fact be as much as ten times more likely to be damaged by water than by fire. (Floodsmart.gov) Significant sources of water damage to one’s property can come from weather-related moisture or flooding, including flooding from heavy rains, flash floods, dam failures, storm surges and mudflows. In addition, new construction of buildings, roads or bridges can alter the flow of water, increasing the potential for flooding.
Living in a high-risk flood zone can increase the likelihood of experiencing a flood, but being outside a high-risk zone does not mean homeowners are safe; flooding is always a possibility due to causes such as heavy rains, snowmelt and spring thaws.
How to Protect Your Home Before During and After a Flood
There are a number of things you can do to help minimize or prevent water damage to your property. Follow these tips to help prepare and recover from potentially costly flood damage.
Before the Flood:
- Have your furnace, water heater and other permanent equipment elevated above the expected flood levels of your area.
- Inspect sump pumps and drains regularly to ensure proper operation.
- If you own a generator, have a licensed electrician provide a transfer switch to your sump pump so you can operate it in the event of flooding.
- To help prevent sewage backup, have a licensed plumber install an interior or exterior backflow prevention valve.
- Keep sandbags on hand to help divert unusually high water away from your foundation.
- Learn the flood alert signals of your community.
- Collect emergency building materials if you live in a frequently flooded area. These may include plywood, plastic sheeting, lumber, nails, shovels and sandbags.
- Plan and practice an evacuation route. Designate a place for family members to meet in the event they become separated.
- Review with all family members how to shut off utilities in an emergency.
- Plan a survival kit with important documents, including insurance documents, medications and critical items in the event you need to leave your home.
During the Flood:
- Listen to a battery-operated radio or television for the latest storm information. If advised to evacuate, shut off all utilities and evacuate immediately.
- Move to high ground, avoid rising waters and do not walk or drive through any floodwaters.
- Stay away from downed power lines and electrical wires.
After the Flood:
- Listen to the radio and do not return home until authorities indicate it is safe to do so.
- Once allowed back into your home, inspect it for damage. If your property has been damaged, promptly report the loss.
- Be watchful of snakes that may have found their way into your home.
- Throw away all food that has come in contact with floodwaters.
- Remove standing water as quickly as possible, including from your basement. If your basement is flooded, pump out about 1/3 of the water per day to avoid structural damage.
- Properly dry or remove soaked carpets, padding and upholstery within 24-48 hours after a flood to prevent mold growth. Discard anything that cannot be properly dried.
- Wash and disinfect all areas that have been flooded. This includes walls, floors, closets and shelves, as well as heating and air-conditioning systems. Do not energize electrical or electronic equipment that may have suffered water damage without first having a qualified electrician inspect and/or test it.
If you need help with a water loss it is usually best to call trained professionals so you do not experience issues with mold after the loss. Call us 24/7 708-239-1444. We are here to help.
Water Damage Can Be Devastating, But SERVPRO Can Help
Chances are you take great pride in your property, whether you own a business, apartment complex, small business, or home. Suppose you arrive home one evening after work and come across a burst pipe, sewer backup, or leaky water heater in your home. Whichever the case may be, a continuous trickle or a large amount of water damage can lead to a disaster and requires immediate cleanup. SERVPRO of Oak Lawn specializes in extraction and water damage restoration.
In these situations, always try to remember safety first. When water damage happens it can be very stressful and sometimes even dangerous.
If not acted upon quickly, any amount of water accumulation can lead to larger problems such as mold and mildew, further damage to walls, ceilings and floors, or even the outer structure of your home or property.
SERVPRO of Oak Lawn strives to provide the best possible service all of the time. No matter how big or small your water damage may be, we have the proper training, equipment, and products to restore your home or business to preloss state.
Call us today (708) 239-1444
Water Damage Restoration For Commercial Buildings
Take the proper steps in removing water from your business by trusting a locally owned and operated industry leader to perform the water extraction process. We have the equipment and experience available to do the job right the first time and return your property to a quality pre-damage condition.
Our technicians can efficiently remove water caused by floods or leaks on your property. We'll go out of our way to ensure proper removal of any moisture that may affect your merchandise that is stored by responding quickly and assisting you with getting operations back to normal as fast as possible. Our SERVPRO technicians have the training and experience needed to put our quality equipment to work immediately to tackle your large commercial flooding or water damage emergency. We work hard to mitigate the damage and manage your entire restoration process.
SERVPRO highly recommends that you remain safe while waiting for our expertly trained staff to arrive. Pay specific attention to possible electrical, or slip & fall hazards that may be present at the site. Never perform any activities that may be unsafe, wet materials are far heavier than you think they are; be careful.
The faster SERVPRO receives a call from you, the better chances we'll have to mitigate the damages to your commercial property and any stock that you may have on hand. We use specialized equipment to find hidden water and advanced drying techniques to ensure everything receives the proper drying time. We also use air moving equipment to help reduce drying time and eliminate moisture from the air with dehumidifiers. These processes assist with removing and absorbing moisture from wet materials and enhance evaporation at the surface levels.
Within eight hours of our onsite arrival, you will have a complete understanding of the scope of work that is required to restore your property and we'll have started to regain control of your property efficiently. We always provide you with a complete final walk-through to ensure your satisfaction with the job performed.
Call SERVPRO of Oak Lawn today (708) 239-1444.
If Your Oak Lawn Residence Needs Dried Out Due To Water - SERVPRO Is Here
Leaking can occur for several reasons, from poor insulation for the plumbing in your Oak Lawn home to exterior damage on the connection points. Persistent leaks might not flood your house, but they do require immediate attention to prevent the situation from getting worse.
Water damage to Oak Lawn homes that exist in ceiling structural cavities must get addressed using controlled demolition tactics and drying equipment. With an in-house roster of contractors, our SERVPRO team can provide real-time, minimalistic demolition was necessary to grant access to saturated materials in the ceiling assemblies and access to the compromised portions of the pipe.
What can you expect when our professionals arrive at your water-damaged home?
• Fast and confident action to make real-time drying decisions
• Advanced technologies and equipment to extract water and dry materials
• Experienced contractors to rebuild after restoration.
Water damages can be destructive to your home, but SERVPRO of Oak Lawn can help. Give us a call today (708) 239-1444.
Smoke & Soot Is Very Invasive So Leave The Job To SERVPRO
When a fire happens in your home or business, lives are suddenly turned around. Recovery can be a mentally and physically draining process. So, who do you contact and where do you begin?
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure. Smoke can also flow around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
Soot removal inside the home should take place as soon as possible after a fire. Leaving it untreated, soot and smoke can immediately begin to rust, discolor, and stain your walls, floors, textiles, porous surfaces, and metal objects. The oils and acid in the soot will stick to surfaces and begin to erode materials quickly.
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. SERVPRO of Oak Lawn has the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damaged home and contents. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Give the responsibility of restoration and repair to professionals who will do it right. Call SERVPRO of Oak Lawn today (708) 239-1444 to assist you with getting your home put back together.
Big Or Small - SERVPRO Is Here For Them All!
Many people think SERVPRO is only here for large loss type disaster events, and while we can help with even the very largest disaster (we have 1900 locations!), we are also here to help with smaller disasters as well. Do you have a leak in your living room? Call us! Mold in your basement? Call us! Did fire destroy your entire home? Call us!
Big or small, we are here to help with them all! We are faster to ANY sized disaster and are here to help get you back to "Like it never even happened." We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to get you back to your preloss condition.
Disaster Does Not Wait For Anyone When It Strikes - Count On SERVPRO To Be There When It Does!
Imagine that it is 2 a.m. and you wake up to the sound of running water. After further investigation, you discover that a pipe behind your bathroom wall has burst and water is pouring out everywhere. What do you do?
First, shut off your water at the main in an effort to minimize damage in your home. Second, you should contact a plumber to repair the broken pipe. Once the pipe is fixed, call SERVPRO of Oak Lawn so we can assist you with getting your home dried out.
When you call our franchise, your call will be answered by one of our staff and not an answering service. You can rest assured that you will get an immediate response during the day or at 2 in the morning.
If you find yourself in this situation call us immediately (708) 239-1444.