When Disaster Strikes Your Business
When your Oak Lawn business suffers from a disaster event like a fire or flood, you will have to think about many different details at the same time. Your clients may need to be notified, shipping may have to be delayed or canceled, customer support will have to be increased, employees may be displaced but still need to work, and so on.
A disaster event will undoubtedly be a trying time, and it is important to figure out what should take priority and what can be delegated to others so you can focus on getting your business back to full speed as soon as possible.
Depending on what type of business you own, the equipment, technology, and the items that can be salvaged or stored from inside your building might be some of the most important assets to your business. You will need someone who can help you track and manage those items for you, so you can focus on the other tasks at hand.
SERVPRO of Oak Lawn provides content storage services along with our disaster restoration efforts.
In your time of need, consider the benefits of working with us to keep your items safe:
- Saved time – Instead of attempting to move your important items yourself, you can simply work with us. We’ll already be on site to provide any type of disaster restoration service you need, and we’ll begin the content storage process at the same time.
- All-in-one service – You won’t have to spread yourself thin calling all over the place finding different companies to provide different services. We provide disaster restoration, content storage, and full project management services. You’ll only have to make one call to have all of your needs handled.
- Meticulous environment – We will log each and every one of your items into inventory so you know exactly what’s being stored. We also use a climate controlled storage facility that will provide a stable environment for your precious technology and equipment. Instead of having to wonder what’s been taken care of and what’s being restored or salvaged, you’ll have a detailed picture of everything you need to know.
As a business owner, you have probably had to learn how to delegate important tasks to other people. That is what great leaders do, focus on the essentials and rely on other reliable professionals to fill in the gaps.
Let SERVPRO of Oak Lawn handle your tricky situation of disaster restoration.
CALL US TODAY (708) 239-1444
Mold Damage Remediation in Alsip, IL
A small amount of visible mold can be hiding larger mold issues behind the wall.
If you suspect you have mold, you should first consult an environmental specialist to determine what types of mold you are dealing with and where it is coming from. Once that is done, SERVPRO can take the proper steps to properly remediate the mold.
Water damaged ceilings and walls provide an ideal home for mold colonies to flourish. Most damage can be easily seen when it occurs after a flood or as a result of the water used to put out a fire, but some water damage can lie concealed behind walls. Mold that forms in these areas may also remain undetected by most people, but not to trained professionals.
Call SERVPRO of Oak Lawn today (708) 239-1444 if you suspect you have mold. We provide complete mold remediation in Oak Lawn and the surrounding suburbs.
Storm Damage In Your Oak Lawn Business
The last thing anyone wants to think about is a storm causing damage inside their business.
Some commercial business owners treat property issues as part of doing business. Flood damage can destroy inventory, stock, supplies, office furniture, documents and electronic equipment as well as cause structural damage. Also, there could be potential health issues arising from contaminated water and possible mold contamination. SERVPRO suggests the following to help mitigate water damage to your business facility.
In many cases, flood damage results from the effects of a storm. There are several types of water damage that can result from storm surges. Some of them include:
- Building displacement or damage
- Mold growth in commercial properties within walls or HVAC systems
- Damage to coastal rail lines, highways, or roads resulting in less accessibility for transportation
- Loss of business, closed doors means lost commercial cash flow, less rent, and loss of customer traffic
How to Save on Flood Damage Restoration
Have a flood insurance program. By purchasing business interruption insurance, you can gain reimbursement for a claim and lessen the impact of no revenue stream and thus lower your total costs. SERVPRO is recognized as a preferred vendor by many insurance and management companies. We can help speed the process of water damage restoration. The best way to reduce or prevent damages generated by storm surges is to implement strategies before the onset of hurricane season. Here are some strategies you should implement:
- Build higher. If you own your commercial building, consider the value of finding the property's base flood elevation and building above it. Hire a structural engineer to offer a plan to reinforce your commercial property.
- Place valuables higher. If your building contains more than one floor, be sure to move valuable assets, technical equipment, and computers to the second floor.
- Invest in preventative installations. Be sure to install some back-flow valves in the property's sewer lines. These valves will prevent city sewage from flowing into your property in the event of a storm surge. Have available access to water surge barricading materials such as sandbags. Also, be sure to elevate electrical systems such as extension cords above the region's flood level. You can also utilize cinder blocks to raise your appliances and most valuable assets above anticipated flood levels.
- Select fast-drying material. Carpeting and wet drywall are susceptible to damage from mold. These porous-surfaced building materials normally require discarding after flooding due to contaminants and mold growth. Build or replace with stone products, tile and noncardboard backed gypsum materials.
To ensure your Oak Lawn commercial property can withstand water damage resulting from floods be sure to implement the strategies outlined above. Post flooding, the most urgent action is to extract the standing water from the premises. Our company has the equipment, training, and expertise to dry out your building, repair material damage, clean, and sanitize your business. Our IICRC-certified professionals are skilled in thoroughly restoring your property to its previous safe, sanitary condition. "Like it never even happened." Let's get you open for business.
Fire Damage in Oak Lawn, IL
Our crews are trained to handle residential and commercial fire damage restoration
What to do after a fire in your home or business
When a fire happens in your home or business, lives are suddenly turned around. Recovery can be a mentally and physically draining process. So who do you contact and where do you begin?
- Contact your insurance company for detailed instructions on temporary housing, protecting the property, and conducting inventory. They will recommend a fire damage restoration company such as SERVPRO of Oak Lawn who are experienced with the process.
- Before you enter your residence, make sure it is safe. Check with the fire department to make sure there was no structural damage caused by the fire. They should also see that the utilities are disconnected before they leave or are safe to use.
- Conduct an inventory of damaged property and items. Take photographs of everything you can. Do not throw anything away until this has been done.
- If possible, locate your valuable documents and records.
- Be sure to let your local police department know if you are not going to be staying in your home while the repairs are made.
- Save any receipts for money you spend related to the fire loss. Your insurance company may need them later for verification.
- Notify your mortgage company of the fire.
For more tips and information on fires, you can check out the U.S. Fire Administration website.
Commercial Fire Damage Emergency Services
For many small business owners, their small business is their livelihood. Any disaster that happens to hurt the company can be detrimental the owner’s finances in a huge way. One of the most common issues that many business owners face is commercial fire damage . There are many ways in which fire can affect your business. However, there are steps that a company can take both before and after fire damage occurs to mitigate any damage that a fire may cause.
Although it seems obvious, being able to prevent fire damage from occurring is the best defense against fire. There are many things that a business can do to increase their first line against fire issues. First, always use the highest quality building materials possible. Many new building materials are much more fire resistant and can end up saving a lot of money. They may be more expensive to put in, but if a fire occurs, they can help save thousands of dollars in repairs. Also, if your facility has a lot of employees, be sure to have safety meetings and discuss the ways they can reduce the likelihood of a fire taking place. For example, a cigarette should be disposed of properly rather than just throwing it on the ground or in a trash can. These steps can go a long way in reducing the chances of a fire. However, at the end of the day even if a business takes the necessary precautions, a fire may still occur. It is important to have a good plan in place and a company that you trust to help clean up the fire damages.
Some business owners may thing that fire damage is something that will easily be cleaned up. However, there are often several layers of issues that the small business owner faces in the aftermath. Flames in a fire can cause damage to the exterior and the interior of the building. Sometimes there may even be structural damage as well. The damage caused by fire and smoke are a significant issue. Many people may feel as though the smoke just smells bad but it can cause long term damage as well. It is important that you work with a quality experienced restoration company to restore the building that was damaged.
Mold Cleanup In Worth, IL
Mold growth can begin anywhere from 2-3 days after a storm causes water damage. The mold is a harmful issue, and it can negatively affect your health, house, and the contents within your home. As the length of exposure to storm water damage increases, the chance for air spores that spread mold also escalates. Mold remediation becomes more challenging as the signs of mold growth that include musty odors, and discolored surfaces, become more apparent.
Our highly trained mold removal technicians use the latest technology and tools to quickly address your mold problem in a manner that effectively removes mold colonies. Unlike DIY techniques, our SERVPRO professional service does not carry the risk of improperly removing mold, in this way, expediting a more rapid return to a healthy home environment. We are also trained and licensed to handle lead, asbestos and other dangerous materials that may show up during the mold removal process.
We are available 24 per day. Before your appointment, be sure to:
- Inventory damaged and missing goods for your insurance claim.
- Throw away all sealed and unsealed food and beverage contacted by storm flood waters.
- Open windows and doors.
- Refrain from using electrical devices until it is safe.
- Remove standing water when possible.
- Use dehumidifiers and fans to ventilate your home; SERVPRO can perform this task upon arrival.
Our mold remediation technician will also determine if any contents in your home are salvageable. Porous items that are wet for over 48 hours and cannot be completely dried and cleaned must be disposed of.
This list includes carpet, carpet padding, ceiling tiles, clothing, drywall, floor tiles, insulation, leather goods, paper, upholstery, wallpaper and wood items.
When our mold remediation expert arrives, he will:
- Apply biocides.
- Decide whether or not you can stay in your house during the mold remediation process.
- Determine if additional ventilation and containment is needed.
- Look for mold in the HVAC system and biological hazards in the home.
- Test for any additional mold after the mold remediation process.
- Use quick structural drying techniques.
Here are some more helpful links on mold:
EPA Mold Guide
IICRC 5 Principles to Mold Remediation
Damage From Sump Pump Failure In Oak Lawn, IL
If you have a basement, your sump pump is often your last line of defense against flooding. It works by safely diverting water away from your house and is especially important during times of heavy rain when it puts your home at risk of water damage. If your sump pump fails, you could find your basement under water. When this happens, it is important to act fast! Water damage can be a progressive issue and if not dealt with in a timely manner, this could lead to structural damage, mold and much more.
Is My Sump Pump Working? Tips to Avoid Water Damage
- It is important to make sure your sump pump is in working order. Otherwise you risk the chance that It could fail when you need it most.
- After heavy rains, check the sump pump inlet screen for any blockages, one of the leading causes of sump pump failure.
- Occasionally, test your sump pump to ensure it is working properly. You can do this by filling the pit with water and watch to see if it is pumped away. If not, you may have a problem.
- Check the float control to make sure it is free and not restricted or hung up.
- Replace the battery backup every 2-3 years. The last thing you need is to find out your batter backup is dead in the middle of a power outage during a big storm.
Locally Owned Company with National Storm Resources
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Oak Lawn is close by and ready to respond to your flood or storm damage emergency. We are proud to be an active member of the Oak Lawn community and want to do our part to make our community the best it can be.
When The Severe Storm Rolls Out, We Roll In
Unexpected emergencies like severe weather call for immediate action. SERVPRO of Oak Lawn knows immediate reaction to the disaster is important to helping you get your life back to normal.
Utilizing our 1-4-8 Service Response Guidelines we strive to:
- Contact you within 1 hour from notice of loss to arrange for your service.
- Be-on-site to begin mitigation services within 4 hours of notification.
- Provide verbal briefing of scope to you within 8 business hour of on-site arrival.
Exceptions to our 1-4-8 Service Response times may apply under certain conditions, such as a local catastrophic event or storm situation.
We also perform pack-out services, which is removing salvageable personal property from the affected area for off-site cleaning and storage.
If you have storm damage to your home or property, call us today (708)239-1444. Timely mitigation is the key to minimize secondary damages caused by severe storms.
Home Fire Safety
If your home caught on fire today, would your family know what to do? If the answer is no, we have some tips to help change that. Everyone in your family should be involved and know what to do in case of an emergency.
- Create a fire escape plan and practice the steps.
- Try to identify at least two ways you can exit each room in case there is a fire.
- Regularly replace batteries in your smoke detectors and test them to make sure they are working properly.
- Smoke alarms in the home should be replaced as needed.
- Check your fire extinguisher for corrosion, or any changes in the pressure gauge. It should be in an easily accessible location.
- Don't overload an electrical outlet and look for any frays or tears in electrical cords.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Before starting a fire in the winter, have your fireplace inspected.
- Do not leave a kitchen oven unattended and make sure it is off before you leave the house.
- Never use a generator indoors.
- Use extreme caution when using space heaters in the winter.
If a fire occurs in your home, the first priority is for you and your family to get out and call for help.
If you need assistance with fire or smoke damage in your home call us today (708)239-1444.
Fire Damage Restoration Versus Replace
The first 48 hours after fire damage occurs can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO of Oak Lawn can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. Our trained professionals provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration. These services help ensure your property, belongings and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible.
A back draft of emotions often sweeps over the homeowners after a fire ravages a home. Fear, uncertainty, stress and doubt about the future of the property can overwhelm the homeowner long after the flames have been extinguished and the smoke has cleared.
After the first wave of heroes have rescued the property, let SERVPRO of Oak Lawn help you restore it.
So, before you risk doing further damage by attempting to clean up the damage yourself, call us today (708) 239-1444.