Does Your Alsip Home Have A Mold Problem?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise "mold removal" and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hits a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If you have visible mold in your home or business, we can inspect and assess your property and remediate your mold infestation.
It's The Water You Don't See
Your home is your safe haven and should be a place of rest. But when water begins leaking-even small leaks in areas you can't see-your home could quickly become a source of stress. The possibility of harmful mold, rot and unseen damage may affect the value of your home and the health of loved ones.
SERVPRO of Oak Lawn understands how disruptive water damages can be for your entire family and will help ensure the water is identified, regardless of where it hides. That's why we offer 24-hour emergency response by trained, uniformed professionals. With top-of-the-line equipment and time-tested cleanup and restoration techniques, we have the expertise to help make your house feel like a home again.
After all, when it comes to your home and your family, even small disasters can feel like huge problems. So if water damage occurs in your home, just call (708) 239-1444 and we will be there to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Water In The Hallway, Not One Single Day Of Classes Missed
At SERVPRO of Oak Lawn, we believe learning shouldn't be paused or canceled, even in the face of disaster. Disasters at an educational facility are highly complex and require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we're dealing with a small school or a campus of higher education, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area so that normal operations can continue while we restore your facility. Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area. Your job is to provide valuable lessons and information to the students; ours is to make sure you have a safe place to do so.
Our experience in handling educational facilities cleanups has given us the ability to provide a variety of detailed services for the following educational facilities:
- K-12 Schools
- Colleges & Universities
- Event and Sporting Arenas
- Day Care / Pre-K Facilities
Mold On The Outside of Your Home
When you think of places where mold may grow, what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Perhaps a damp, dark basement or crawlspace? While this may be one of the most common places, your home's exterior siding may also be susceptible to mold growth.
Causes of Mold on Siding
Excessive humidity and moisture can create an attractive environment for mold growth on several kinds of siding, including low-maintenance vinyl. Siding is designed to allow rainwater and other types of moisture to run off the exterior of your home, but sometimes otherwise durable siding can have mold growth under certain conditions. Since some moldy types may need humidity to grow, warm and humid weather conditions can cause a mold outbreak on your siding.
Mold likes darkness which can also play a role. This means that the shady sides of your house maybe at risk. These areas will tend to be the slowest to dry out after heavy rains so moisture levels will remain higher.
Vinyl Siding Mold Removal and Prevention
First, keep your siding clean of dirt and grime. You can use a simple garden hose or pressure washer to do this.
Second, try to target the trees and shrubs that are located around your house. Check to make sure they do not have any contact with your siding. Regularly trim your trees and shrubs to minimize shaded areas that can encourage mold growth.
Finally, take steps to reduce the amount of moisture that comes into contact with your siding. If you regularly water your lawn, be sure to adjust sprinklers so the water does not hit your house. Check gutters in the spring and fall and make sure they are clean and in working order. Clogged gutters can cause the rainwater to run down the side of the home and this can increase the moisture level.
For any serious mold problems, don't hesitate to call in the professionals at SERVPRO of Oak Lawn. (708) 239-1444
Commercial Water Damage Can Happen Even On Weekends
Water damage does not take weekends off.
Usually, many office buildings are unoccupied over the weekend. A water leak that happens on a Friday, that no one notices, can turn into a huge flooding problem my Monday morning.
Recognizing a Water Leak
Faulty toilets or leaking pipes can escalate into something more serious if they are not noticed or repaired in time. Here are a few tips to identify signs you may have leaking water:
- Listen carefully for sounds of dripping or water coming from faucets or toilets. If the water has been shut off and you are still hearing dripping, this may be a sign of a faulty and time to call a plumber.
- Have your employees do a quick check of the ceilings and floors in their work areas. Wet carpet maybe a sign of a plumbing leak.
- If you notice a drop in water pressure, this may also be a sign that there is water leaking somewhere in the building.
- Check toilets regularly for any faulty supply lines.
A water leak in your place of business if left untreated can cause substantial damage. By catching leaks early, you can protect your business better. If you do encounter water damage, call SERVPRO of Oak Lawn today. (708)239-1444
Water In Your Crawl Space
The most common call we get after heavy rains is homeowners who have water in their crawlspace. A crawl space should not take on water or be damp and needs to be addressed quickly. A wet crawl space can lead to mold and musty odors.
A homeowner can get water in their crawlspace from a number of different sources:
- ground water or rainwater that seeps into the crawlspace
- cracks in the foundation
- drainage tile issues
- gutter or downspout systems are not working properly
- sump pump failing
If you do have water in your crawlspace, it needs to be removed as soon as possible. This will help ensure there is not mold growth. The professionals at SERVPRO of Oak Lawn can help. Call us today if you have water in your home (708)239-1444.
Electrical Safety During a Flood
There are many risks associated with flooding. One of them is the danger associated with your electrical system. It is critically important to treat all electrical appliances, equipment and outlets with caution. Here are a few safety tips:
- Never step into standing water that has covered electrical outlets or devices-the water could already be charged with electric current.
- If there are downed power lines in your area, you should avoid them and notify your local power company.
- Avoid areas where there are sparks or if you hear popping or buzzing noises.
- If you smell something that resembles plastic burning, this could indicate an electrical fire.
After any flooding event, you should consult a certified electrician to determine the extent of damage to your electrical system.
Sewage Cleanup in Oak Lawn
A sewage backup in your home or business can be a stressful nightmare. In just a matter of minutes, your home can be suddenly overwhelmed with water contaminated with waste and bacteria. When a sewage backup or overflow happens, cleaning it up quickly is very important.
Our technicians are certified to clean up sewage backups safely. They will do so with the following steps:
1. Remove sewage and water. By utilizing special equipment including commercial grade vacuums and pumps, toxic water is safely removed from the premises.
2. Removing contaminated property. Our crew will safely remove any items that have been affected by the sewage water. This may include furniture, carpet and any other items the contaminated water may have touched.
3. Drying out the home. Professional-grade air movers will be brought in to dry out any affected areas.
4. Sanitizing. By doing a thorough cleaning of the affected areas, this will help prevent the spread of anything harmful that may have been in the contaminated water. Proper treatment of the areas is also necessary to prevent mold growth.
If your home has been affected by a sewage backup and you need assistance, call us today (708) 239-1444
Commercial Fire Cleaning in Chicago Ridge
Call SERVPRO for Your Chicago Ridge Commercial Fire Damage
Commercial fire damage is one of the most devastating experiences that a business owner can experience in Chicago Ridge. In addition to doing severe damage to the structure of the building, fires can lead to excessive, standing water on the property as well as mold invasions. For these reasons and more, business leaders find it difficult to recover from a natural disaster or man-made accident. This is even the case when the business owner is an industry expert who manages the daily operations prudently. However, learning more about commercial fires and how fire damage remediation specialists can assist you is the first step towards limiting damages and preserving your equilibrium in the face of the disaster. Gather information you need regarding how to grapple with a fire by reviewing the data outlined below:
Fire Threats. There are several factors that can place a commercial property in harm’s way leading to burning and fire damage. Some of these include:
- lightning strike
- electrical fire
- blown fuse, overloaded circuits
- an adjoining business fire
Preventing Commercial Fire Damage and Strategies You Can Use:
In addition to purchasing business interruption insurance, there are several strategies you can implement to decrease the impact of fire damage to your Chicago Ridge business. Some of them include:
- Avoiding the storage of flammable items on site
- Check your smoke alarms regularly to ensure they are functioning properly
- Have your fire extinguishers in accessible areas
- Implement a fire evacuation plan
- Turn off appliances and machinery when no one is on site.
- Ensure all machinery is in good condition
- Have backup drives for computers
- Important paperwork should be kept in a fireproof safe
- Use a cloud for document back up storage
Call SERVPRO today for your commercial fire damage. We are here 24/7 365 days a year.
Spring is just around the corner! Many homeowners believe that spring maintenance is just about cleaning. Of course, spring cleaning is a big part of a spring home maintenance schedule, but overall maintenance of the structure and appliance is also important. All homeowners love to see spotless windows on the first sunny 70 degree day, but don't forget your roof and the ice dams that may have formed over the winter.
Spring Maintenance Checklist
- Gutters and downspouts: Check your gutters and downspouts for leaves and debris that have collected over the fall and winter. You can also run a hose on your roof and check for proper drainage. If you happen to find a leak, dry the area and make sure it is sealed up properly with caulk or epoxy.
- Siding: Clean your siding to prevent mold from growing. Check any wood surfaces for weathering and pant chipping. If wood is showing through, sand the area, prime and paint.
- Exterior Caulking: Inspect caulking and replace if deteriorating. Recaulk areas if needed.
- Window Sills, Door Sills, and Thresholds: Fill cracks, caulk edges or replace if you need to.
- Window and Door Screens: Clean your screens and check for holes. If you have any holes that are bigger than a quarter, patch the holes or replace the screen. Otherwise you might end up with bugs in your home when your windows are open.
- Deck and Porches: Check your railings on your deck and porch to make sure they are not loose.
By following some simple home maintenance tips each season, you can ensure your home is running properly year round.