After The Storm is Over Mold in Chicago Ridge
Mold is a harmful issue and it can negatively affect your home.
Information on Mold Remediation in Orland Park
Mold growth begins anywhere from 2-3 days after a storm causes water damage in Orland Park. Mold is a harmful issue, and it can negatively affect your health, house, and the contents within your home. As the length of exposure to storm water damage increases, the chance for air spores that spread mold also escalates. Mold remediation becomes more challenging as the signs of mold growth that include musty odors, and discolored surfaces, become more apparent.
Our highly trained mold removal technicians use the latest technology and tools to quickly address your mold problem in a manner that effectively removes mold colonies. Unlike DIY techniques, our SERVPRO professional service does not carry the risk of improperly removing mold, in this way, expediting a more rapid return to a healthy home environment. We are also trained and licensed to handle lead, asbestos and other dangerous materials that may show up during the mold removal process.
We are available 24 per day. Before your appointment, be sure to:
- Inventory damaged and missing goods for your insurance claim.
- Throw away all sealed and unsealed food and beverage contacted by storm flood waters.
- Open windows and doors.
- Refrain from using electrical devices until it is safe.
- Remove standing water when possible.
- Use dehumidifiers and fans to ventilate your home; SERVPRO can perform this task upon arrival.
Our mold remediation technician will also determine if any contents in your home are salvageable. Porous items that are wet for over 48 hours and cannot be completely dried and cleaned must be disposed of.
This list includes carpet, carpet padding, ceiling tiles, clothing, drywall, floor tiles, insulation, leather goods, paper, upholstery, wallpaper and wood items.
When our mold remediation expert arrives, he will:
- Apply biocides.
- Decide whether or not you can stay in your house during the mold remediation process.
- Determine if additional ventilation and containment is needed.
- Look for mold in the HVAC system and biological hazards in the home.
- Test for any additional mold after the mold remediation process.
- Use quick structural drying techniques.
Here are some more helpful links on mold:
EPA Mold Guide
IICRC 5 Principles to Mold Remediation
How to Protect your Property Before, During and After a Flood
Acting fast when you have flood damage can help preserve your home.
Protecting Your Oak Lawn Property Before, During, and After a Flood
While fire may be a more common concern among homeowners, your home could in fact be as much as ten times more likely to be damaged by water than by fire. (Floodsmart.gov) Significant sources of water damage to one’s property can come from weather-related moisture or flooding, including flooding from heavy rains, flash floods, dam failures, storm surges and mudflows. In addition, new construction of buildings, roads or bridges can alter the flow of water, increasing the potential for flooding.
Living in a high-risk flood zone can increase the likelihood of experiencing a flood, but being outside a high-risk zone does not mean homeowners are safe; flooding is always a possibility due to causes such as heavy rains, snowmelt and spring thaws.
How to Protect Your Home Before During and After a Flood
There are a number of things you can do to help minimize or prevent water damage to your property. Follow these tips to help prepare and recover from potentially costly flood damage.
Before the Flood:
- Have your furnace, water heater and other permanent equipment elevated above the expected flood levels of your area.
- Inspect sump pumps and drains regularly to ensure proper operation.
- If you own a generator, have a licensed electrician provide a transfer switch to your sump pump so you can operate it in the event of flooding.
- To help prevent sewage backup, have a licensed plumber install an interior or exterior backflow prevention valve.
- Keep sandbags on hand to help divert unusually high water away from your foundation.
- Learn the flood alert signals of your community.
- Collect emergency building materials if you live in a frequently flooded area. These may include plywood, plastic sheeting, lumber, nails, shovels and sandbags.
- Plan and practice an evacuation route. Designate a place for family members to meet in the event they become separated.
- Review with all family members how to shut off utilities in an emergency.
- Plan a survival kit with important documents, including insurance documents, medications and critical items in the event you need to leave your home.
During the Flood:
- Listen to a battery-operated radio or television for the latest storm information. If advised to evacuate, shut off all utilities and evacuate immediately.
- Move to high ground, avoid rising waters and do not walk or drive through any floodwaters.
- Stay away from downed power lines and electrical wires.
After the Flood:
- Listen to the radio and do not return home until authorities indicate it is safe to do so.
- Once allowed back into your home, inspect it for damage. If your property has been damaged, promptly report the loss.
- Be watchful of snakes that may have found their way into your home.
- Throw away all food that has come in contact with floodwaters.
- Remove standing water as quickly as possible, including from your basement. If your basement is flooded, pump out about 1/3 of the water per day to avoid structural damage.
- Properly dry or remove soaked carpets, padding and upholstery within 24-48 hours after a flood to prevent mold growth. Discard anything that cannot be properly dried.
- Wash and disinfect all areas that have been flooded. This includes walls, floors, closets and shelves, as well as heating and air-conditioning systems. Do not energize electrical or electronic equipment that may have suffered water damage without first having a qualified electrician inspect and/or test it.
If you need help with a water loss it is usually best to call trained professionals so you do not experience issues with mold after the loss. Call us 24/7 708-239-1444. We are here to help.
Beginning The Recovery Process After A Fire
Fire damage can be very overwhelming whether it is your home or business that is affected.
When a fire quickly rips through your business or home, there are many factors to consider. The numerous steps are overwhelming on a practical, mental, and emotional level. Once you’ve made sure that everyone is safe, that 911 has been called, and that the fire has been put out, it’s time to let SERVPRO of Oak Lawn take some of the burden off your shoulders. By calling us as soon as possible is what can help save your belongings from the devastating effects of smoke and mold in Oak Lawn, IL.
Some of your belongings can certainly be saved from the after–effects of a fire and it’s important to responsibly start the process right away. Once you’ve been given the “go ahead” from your local fire department, you should begin an inventory in your property. Soot and smoke from the fire can immediately begin to rust, discolor, and stain your walls, floors, textiles, porous surfaces, and metal objects. The oils and acid in the soot will begin to erode materials quickly and the oils will make it stick to surfaces.
There’s one aspect of damage after a fire that isn’t necessarily due to the fire itself. Mold and water damage are also huge factors in the restoration process. When the fire department is working hard to put out the flames, water from the hoses can get into everything, leading to water damage and mold. It’s important to note that attempting to restore your belongings on your own can lead to permanent damage. You do not need to spend your time and energy trying to clean everything on your own.
Large, unexpected disasters don’t always destroy all of your belongings. Give the responsibility of restoration and repair to professionals who will do it right. Call SERVPRO of Oak Lawn today (708) 239-1444 to assist you with getting your home put back together.
Residential and Commercial Water Damage Restoration After Floods
Chicago has been nicknamed the "windy city" but in our business it seems it should be called the "city of flooded basements." Over recent years, we have seen an increase in the number of floods that have hit the city and suburbs and it is worth taking notice.
When the number of floods rise, so do water emergencies. Whether it is a burst pipe, sump pump failure or other water issues, they must be cleaned up quickly in order to minimize damage. Even water amounts that seem minimal, if they sit too long, can cause structural damage. This can also lead to a higher cost to repair in the long run.
If you have experienced flooding in your home or business and need assistance call us today (708)239-1444.
Mold in Oak Lawn
If you see mold, do not disturb it!
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Oak Lawn for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Oak Lawn specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today –(708) 239-1444
Avoiding Water Damage From Sump Pump Failure
If your sump pump fails, your basement could begin to fill with water.
If you have a basement, your sump pump is often your last line of defense against flooding. It works by safely diverting water away from your house and is especially important during times of heavy rain when it puts your home at risk of water damage. If your sump pump fails, you could find your basement under water. When this happens, it is important to act fast! Water damage can be a progressive issue and if not dealt with in a timely manner, this could lead to structural damage, mold and much more.
Is My Sump Pump Working? Tips to Avoid Water Damage
- It is important to make sure your sump pump is in working order. Otherwise you risk the chance that It could fail when you need it most.
- After heavy rains, check the sump pump inlet screen for any blockages, one of the leading causes of sump pump failure.
- Occasionally, test your sump pump to ensure it is working properly. You can do this by filling the pit with water and watch to see if it is pumped away. If not, you may have a problem.
- Check the float control to make sure it is free and not restricted or hung up.
- Replace the battery backup every 2-3 years. The last thing you need is to find out your batter backup is dead in the middle of a power outage during a big storm.
Locally Owned Company with National Storm Resources
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Oak Lawn is close by and ready to respond to your flood or storm damage emergency. We are proud to be an active member of the Oak Lawn community and want to do our part to make our community the best it can be.
Grilling Safety to Prevent Fires
Never leave your grill unattended
Summer is officially here! There is no better time to get together for an old-fashioned barbecue at home or at the campground. Imagine a perfectly grilled T-bone steak, a smoked turkey, or just simple hot dogs on the grill. However, keep in mind the safety measures to have a safe and enjoyable barbecue free from fire and smoke that could potentially damage your home, camper or campground.
- Ensure your grill is stable and away from buildings or structures. Grills are designed for outdoor use only.
- Check the grill's propane tank for leaks and keep it cleaned.
- Never leave your grill unattended or try to move it while it is lit.
- Wear appropriate clothing and avoid long sleeves.
- Have baking soda and fire extinguisher readily available in the event of a grease fire.
Following these simple tips can help prevent fires in and around your grill, home and property. Grilling accidents do happen, so make every effort to be safe and enjoy the barbecue with friends and family.
If you do experience the unfortunate circumstance of fire or smoke damage in Oak Lawn, IL, SERVPRO is ready 24/7 to help.
CALL US TODAY (708) 239-1444
24/7 Quick Emergency Response for Water Damage Restoration In Oak Lawn
Quick service is essential if you have experienced water damage in your home or business.
If your home has sustained major water damage, you may feel like your home will never recover. Water damage due to natural occurrence such as flooding or plumbing pipe breakage can seem like the end of the world, especially if you are standing in a foot of water inside your home. However there is a solution. Water damage can be taken care by our trained experts in water damage restoration.
Quick Service is Essential.
Once your home has suffered water damage, you need access to restoration services quickly. The water will need to be completely removed quickly in order to prevent mold and mildew growth in the home. We want to make sure you don't experience any more damage than what the water has already caused.
Thorough Restoration Process
Every step must be followed carefully to ensure water is not left behind. The water will need to removed completely and dehumidifying processes provided to completely dry the space. Unfortunately, some of your items may be damage beyond repair and will need to be removed from the space. Other items that are salvageable, will be moved to a new location for restoration.
Let our trained experts help you restore your water damaged home.
Call us today (708) 239-1444
Commercial Restoration Services In Oak Lawn, IL
A disaster event in your business can be a trying time.
When your Oak Lawn business suffers from a disaster event like a fire or flood, you will have to think about many different details at the same time. Your clients may need to be notified, shipping may have to be delayed or canceled, customer support will have to be increased, employees may be displaced but still need to work, and so on.
A disaster event will undoubtedly be a trying time, and it is important to figure out what should take priority and what can be delegated to others so you can focus on getting your business back to full speed as soon as possible.
Depending on what type of business you own, the equipment, technology, and the items that can be salvaged or stored from inside your building might be some of the most important assets to your business. You will need someone who can help you track and manage those items for you, so you can focus on the other tasks at hand.
SERVPRO of Oak Lawn provides content storage services along with our disaster restoration efforts.
In your time of need, consider the benefits of working with us to keep your items safe:
- Saved time – Instead of attempting to move your important items yourself, you can simply work with us. We’ll already be on site to provide any type of disaster restoration service you need, and we’ll begin the content storage process at the same time.
- All-in-one service – You won’t have to spread yourself thin calling all over the place finding different companies to provide different services. We provide disaster restoration, content storage, and full project management services. You’ll only have to make one call to have all of your needs handled.
- Meticulous environment – We will log each and every one of your items into inventory so you know exactly what’s being stored. We also use a climate controlled storage facility that will provide a stable environment for your precious technology and equipment. Instead of having to wonder what’s been taken care of and what’s being restored or salvaged, you’ll have a detailed picture of everything you need to know.
As a business owner, you have probably had to learn how to delegate important tasks to other people. That is what great leaders do, focus on the essentials and rely on other reliable professionals to fill in the gaps.
Let SERVPRO of Oak Lawn handle your tricky situation of disaster restoration.
CALL US TODAY (708) 239-1444
Chicago Ridge Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Each smoke and fire damage situation can be different and requires a unique solution.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Oak Lawn will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (708) 239-1444