Do You Know What To Do If A Fire Happens In Your Home?
According to FEMA there were 1,319,500 fires reported in 2017. A fire can start in our home when we least expect it.
Your primary focus should be your family's safety and getting them out of the home.
Here are a few other tips on what to do:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
Once the smoke has cleared from your home and the fire department has left, you will be left with questions, anger and anxiety of when to begin putting your life back together.
By calling SERVPRO of Oak Lawn (708) 239-1444, you can be assured we will be at your home within the hour to begin the restoration process. We are available 24/7 for your fire or smoke damage emergency. When you call our office, one of our staff will be ready to assist you immediately.