Beginning The Recovery Process After A Fire
When a fire quickly rips through your business or home, there are many factors to consider. The numerous steps are overwhelming on a practical, mental, and emotional level. Once you’ve made sure that everyone is safe, that 911 has been called, and that the fire has been put out, it’s time to let SERVPRO of Oak Lawn take some of the burden off your shoulders. By calling us as soon as possible is what can help save your belongings from the devastating effects of smoke and mold in Oak Lawn, IL.
Some of your belongings can certainly be saved from the after–effects of a fire and it’s important to responsibly start the process right away. Once you’ve been given the “go ahead” from your local fire department, you should begin an inventory in your property. Soot and smoke from the fire can immediately begin to rust, discolor, and stain your walls, floors, textiles, porous surfaces, and metal objects. The oils and acid in the soot will begin to erode materials quickly and the oils will make it stick to surfaces.
There’s one aspect of damage after a fire that isn’t necessarily due to the fire itself. Mold and water damage are also huge factors in the restoration process. When the fire department is working hard to put out the flames, water from the hoses can get into everything, leading to water damage and mold. It’s important to note that attempting to restore your belongings on your own can lead to permanent damage. You do not need to spend your time and energy trying to clean everything on your own.
Large, unexpected disasters don’t always destroy all of your belongings. Give the responsibility of restoration and repair to professionals who will do it right. Call SERVPRO of Oak Lawn today (708) 239-1444 to assist you with getting your home put back together.