Fire Damage in Alsip, IL
What to do after a fire in your home or business
When a fire happens in your home or business, lives are suddenly turned around. Recovery can be a mentally and physically draining process. So who do you contact and where do you begin?
- Contact your insurance company for detailed instructions on temporary housing, protecting the property, and conducting inventory. They will recommend a fire damage restorationcompany such as SERVPRO of Oak Lawnwho are experienced with the process.
- Before you enter your residence, make sure it is safe. Check with the fire department to make sure there was no structural damage caused by the fire. They should also see that the utilities are disconnected before they leave or are safe to use.
- Conduct an inventory of damaged property and items. Take photographs of everything you can. Do not throw anything away until this has been done.
- If possible, locate your valuable documents and records.
- Be sure to let your local police department know if you are not going to be staying in your home while the repairs are made.
- Save any receipts for money you spend related to the fire loss. Your insurance company may need them later for verification.
- Notify your mortgage company of the fire.
For more tips and information on fires, you can check out the U.S. Fire Administration website.